Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween party

Brennan's classroom party was today, and he wanted me to make cookie cake for the treat. First of all, I'm finding out that several schools won't even allow homemade goodies, so I'm glad we can still do that! For some reason, he is obsessed with cookie cake, and that's what he wants for every treat now! That's fine because it's easy. I found these cute pans last week and decided to do the pumpkin thing. One cake wouldn't have been enough so I did two (please excuse the leaf in the bottom of the picture. The boys insisted I take a picture of it before we headed out the door so I have the pan sitting on the floor of the entry way. You can also see the toothpicks in the cookie (6 in each one). They keep the saran from smearing the frosting. Brennan was so excited about bringing these today, and that made me feel good. That's exactly why I do it. I remember back about 10 years ago when I was teaching. We were getting ready for a class holiday party, and one student made a remark that made me literally get tears in my eyes. I have never forgotten it since. When we were deciding who wanted to bring food for the party, he said very sullenly, "My mom won't want to bake any treats. She's too busy." Now I am not judging anyone, and I know baking isn't for everyone, but his sad little face still haunts me. That experience reminded me that I never want my kids to feel like I am too busy for them. So, even when it is a chaotic day, I will be up decorating the treats til 2 AM if I have to be (because I'm not a morning person and won't get up at 5 AM to do it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment