Monday, February 23, 2009

weekend recap

Seems like I haven't posted in awhile. Been lots going on like usual. Let's see if I can recap some of the last week or so. Maybe I better work backwards to remember more easily.


*Today I subbed. Originally I told him I would be willing to go up through 8th grade. I really wasn't comfortable with high school mainly for the fact that I don't want to be inept and completely ignorant in certain classes that I have no knowledge of- such as chemistry, trig, etc. When Dan calls, he always asks first, "Are you available to sub?" So I lock in before I know where I'm going- smart man, he is. Anyway, usually that's not a big deal as there is only one teacher so far that I would consider not going back for. Otherwise, I can deal with anything for a day. Well he tells me I'm going to sub for a teacher that I have heard of at the middle school, where I seem to be going a lot lately. Then he tells me I start my day at the high school- in science, no less. GAG! I really dislike science, especially physical science and chemistry. Beyond that, I never took anymore in high school because I hated them so much! So today I am subbing in two physical science classes and an environmental science class before heading over to the middle school to do 3 sections of life skills. I am not thrilled at the idea of the science bit, but like I said before, I can survive anything for a day. And you know what? It wasn't bad at all! I actually enjoyed the morning. I showed a movie on the worst tornado in history, which was fascinating I must say, and during environmental science the 9 or so students in class worked on timelines while I read my book!! It was quite an easy morning. So maybe high school isn't so bad after all????? (thankfully I didn't have to know anything except how to push play on the VCR).


*Yesterday was busy with church as every Sunday is. Our church is doing a 6 week series on marriages based on the movie Fireproof, so that's been great. I got my Sunday afternoon nap, which is a must for me. I truly believe Sunday should be a day of rest.


*Saturday was Brennan's first baseball practice! I am psyched that baseball is just around the corner- my favorite time of year. Bren's kind of gotten the raw end of the deal concerning coaches in the past, but this year will be different. Dad is his coach! After 6 years of coaching Bradley, Gary is moving down to Rookies to coach Bren's team. They are the Pirates, in honor of Uncle Dan working for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Practice went well, and Gary is excited about the team and the upcoming year. I will be team mom, which I have done for Brad's team the past several years. I love "doing" baseball together as a family. I keep stats and input them in on the team website. I also keep order in the dugout during games, organize concession stand, treats, etc. for the team, and keep things straight behind the scenes. I love it!


*Saturday was also the AWANA Grand Prix. Brennan wanted an Iowa Hawkeye car. Of course, if you've ever done one of these before, you know that the Dad does most (or all) of the work!

Although none of our cars have ever really done well in the speed category (although my poor husband tries so hard!!), Bren's did win one heat and he was thrilled with that. We had talked to him about having a good attitude, no matter how well the car did (sometimes these things can be great lessons in good sportsmanship!), and wanted him just to have fun. After that, we went to McDonalds for lunch- Papa and Dorothy had given the boys gift cards for Valentine's Day, and then we did a little shopping before heading home. It was a wonderfully lazy evening watching the high school wrestling state championships, something I love to do. I was a wrestling cheerleader for three years in high school and LOVED to watch it. Those tournaments were some of my favorite times from high school.
*Bren got the green Diary of a Wimpy Kid book and has been a reading machine for the past couple of days. I am so thankful he has become a reader, and has developed an enjoyment for books. During the first several years of his life, I didn't think that was ever going to happen. He chose any other activity to do besides reading! He loves these Wimpy Kid books- we've got them all now.

*Speaking of books, I have become the latest of the obsessed Twilight readers. I really had no interest in these books AT ALL for a long time. In fact, when people would tell me about them, I thought "that sounds so weird!" But everyone I talked to said how good they were. And one of my tutoring students, who kept trying to encourage me to read them, brought me the first one last Thursday to read. And since I often have time during my subbing days, I began the first book on Friday. And today, a mere 72 hours later, I am 3/4 of the way finished with it. I must say, it is well written. The author knows how to bring the reader in and enrapture her ( I say her because I can't imagine many men reading this series!). I can see the pull for many teenagers- Bella seems to have it all- Anyway, I am impressed with what an easy-read it is, and surprised at the fact that I'm enjoying it! So remember when I posted about reading more classics this year- yeah, so far that's not happening. I was trying to work through The Secret Garden but that's not capturing my attention like Twilight. Go figure!

*Also on Saturday, my niece had a baby! Darci Lynne was born healthy weighing 7 lbs. 5 oz, 20 inches long, and unfortunately lives in Washington! She is absolutely precious, and I wish I could hold her! My sister is a grandma, and my dad is a great grandpa. Unbelievable!

*Friday I scrapbooked. It felt so good! It seems like I haven't spent much time down in my "cat pan suite." I finished Darci's baby gift (just in the nick of time) and began a couple of gift layouts.

*The painting is DONE! I painted all week, and finished it up on the weekend. Once we get the trim up in Bren's room and the rest of the little details, I'll post pics. I put the new Hawkeye comforter on his bed, and he loved it, although Bradley and I don't want to touch it!).

Long post, I know. Gary is putting two bookshelves together for me now, as I write. I am so excited! They will be in the living room, hosting my many scrapbooks as well as some other things. I'll post that when it's done as well!

Well, Bren wants on the computer. It's becoming a challenge sharing one computer between 4 computer users! I would like to get a laptop with some of our tax return money. I would love to be able to take it along when I sub and be able to get some things done when I have down time. Reading is good, but depending on how much time I have, it gets old after awhile.

Toodles for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment