Sunday, February 8, 2009

sad day...

Little did I know as I taught the Children's church lesson this morning on the subject of "death and dying" that I would be experiencing it first hand just hours later. The words and concepts I was teaching those children were a comfort for me this afternoon when Gary's grandma passed away. She was 86 years old and still driving! She never seemed that old to me. In fact, she drove the "old" people to their dr. appointments and out to eat! Grandma fell and broke her hip over a week ago, and couldn't regain strength. Yesterday the doctors called Doyle and Carolyn and said she was having trouble breathing and her stomach began protruding. She was moved to ICU. This morning they decided they needed to do surgery to see what was causing the problem. When they went in, they discovered a blood clot had formed, and the blood supply to her small intestine and colon had stopped. Those two organs were dead. It would only be a matter of time. She died peacefully before 2 PM with several family and friends surrounding her. I am thankful we were there at the hospital. I am thankful she did not have to suffer long. I am thankful she lived a full life, and now joins her husband in heaven! I am thankful how God perfectly timed my children's church lesson knowing what the day's events would be. She is perfectly content now, enjoying the glories of heaven. She's better off than any of the rest of us. We'll miss you Grandma!


1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. And even though I know you will miss her dearly, there is almost something special about a saint going home to sit at her Lord's feet. What a blessed hope. Isn't it amazing how God implants Scripture in our hearts at just the right time, knowing we will need it to sustain us for a trial ahead? I will pray for His peace that goes beyond all understanding as you attend the memorial and burial. Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete