Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Book share

I have been reading The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd recently and thought I'd share some thoughts from it that really spoke to me.

I loved this prayer. Can anyone relate??

Dear Lord, so far today I am doing pretty well. I haven't screamed at the kids or thrown anything in a burst of anger. I have not grumbled or gossiped or whined. I haven't been greedy or self centered. I have not yet charged anything to the credit card, and I haven't pigged out on the chocolate cake in the refrigerator. However, in a few minutes I will be getting out of bed, and I am going to need your help to make it through the rest of the day. Amen.


That is so true for me in my life! I lack self control- plain and simple. I am not a very disciplined person. I want to change. I need to change. But I need God's help to change.

Yesterday at Bible study, we studied about Hannah. She prayed and prayed for a son. She desired a son so he could serve the Lord. And she had self control. She had discipline. She promised the Lord that if He gave her a son, she would dedicate him to the Lord's service for the rest of his life. And she did just that. After she weaned him, she took Samuel to the temple to stay and serve and learn from Eli. How difficult that must have been to leave him there! But she kept true to the promise she had made. We were reminded in Bible study yesterday about prayer warriors. I am positive Hannah was a prayer warrior for her son. I know my mom was a prayer warrior for me and my family. What a precious gift and legacy to leave our children! I want to be that for my boys as well! Anyway, this was discussed at Bible study and then as I was reading my book before bed, this popped out at me reminding me of my duty and responsibility as MOM.

Surely the greatest casualty of our overcommitted warp-speed society is prayer. Fewer mothers these days feel they have time to pray. I can't help but wonder: How different would our homes, our communities, and our churches be if we mothers did less running around and more praying? What would our country be like right now if thousands upon thousands of prayer-warrior mothers were regularly, fervently lifting up the youth of this nation?


I'm off to pray for my kids.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's powerful!!! Our country would be in a whole different boat if everyone committed themselves to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in a ladies study at church called "Becoming a Woman Who Listens to God" and we talked about one the ways God talks to us is through repetition. How awesome that you heard and were reminded by Him twice the same message. . . the importance of prayer in our lives. I think God was speaking right to your heart in that moment Kate!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete