Thursday, April 9, 2009

tutoring room makeover

This is what I spent my spring break doing- painting and giving the tutoring room a fresh look. I am really happy with the results. It was yellow ("corn cob yellow" as my husband referred to it, however, keep in mind, he hates yellow). Anyway, I'd had it that way for years and I was ready for a change. I wanted something bright and fun for the kids. I found the orange curtains very early in my process, and decided I was going to have those before I even had picked out paint or anything. I love orange! I used to have the 3 tables in a U formation, however I really like this new arrangement. When I have two students at a time, it gives them a little more room to spread out. The bookshelf behind my chair was moved from another wall and contains several of my most used textbooks, so I love having that right behind me for easy access. The cubby shelf on my desk that is holding pens, highlighters, paper clips, etc. was against the far wall before, pretty much unused. This has been a great way to organize all of those things without taking up a lot of room. On top of that cubby I have a quotes calendar I made a couple of years ago, a new card file I just recently put together, and my birthday calendar. You can see these all more clearly if you click on the picture to see it full size.


This is my favorite thing in the whole room, I believe. I love this United States map created from license plates! When I was reading a magazine last night, I saw that this piece, in its original form, sells for $3900! Of course, this is a replica now sold at Target for $35! That's more of my kind of deal! I love all of the colors involved, and the tutoring kids have loved it. We've spent a lot of time looking at it. Learning states and capitals is something I am often helping kids with, so this was perfect for my room.
This next shelf is how I organize my students' folders and work. I've got their names labeled on each cubby. Most of the ones who share a cubby are in the same grade, so I use the same things for them. This system has worked well. Ignore the pile of notebooks etc. on the floor next to the shelf! That is my "to do" pile! On top of the shelf I have a container of candy. Something I started from the very beginning of my tutoring days 5 years ago was giving the kids a treat at the end of each session to say "thanks" for their hard work. When I taught in the classroom, any student can attest that my M&M machine was always full and ready to go! Many people who see that candy are amazed that it's still there! In other words, don't I eat it or don't my own kids come in and take from it??? Actually, my kids do not. I guess they are used to it and know it's off limits. And there's enough junk food in the kitchen that they don't need to! I need to change that, but for now, that's our life. I will admit, I have robbed from that candy bowl a few times. I am not interested in any of the non chocolate items though. I will steal a candy bar once in awhile when I'm desperate! I am a true chocoholic.


As soon as I saw this kitty print, I had to get it! It's so cute! The white letters are rub ons that I found at Big Lots for a GREAT price! They sell them at Hobby Lobby and other places, but these were really cheap. I've also got another kitty print in the room that I did not take a picture of, and there's usually a live kitty (Maizy) perched up on the table with the tutoring students! She loves to be in there with the kids. I've got one that is allergic, but she's even more of a magnet for Maizy! It seems like she knows when Hannah is coming, and is usually sleeping on Hannah's chair as she comes in for her session! So my lint roller gets a lot of action!



After I found the kitty print, I found these plastic balloons at Hobby Lobby. I loved how they matched the picture so well. These are right next to the picture in the corner. Oh, and this shows the one wall that's orange! The other three are green. Then I have some splashes of red as an accent.



That's about the size of it. Most of the kids really like the new look. I believe Gary's statement when he came in and saw the brightness was, "Wow! I'm glad I don't have to come in here everyday!" Don't think it was his cup of tea.
Alright, I should get busy. I am going to make some cookies for my boys who are heading out turkey hunting this evening. We're really hoping Bradley will get his first turkey this year! Brennan and I will be going over to my dad's on Saturday to spend Easter with them. I haven't been there since Christmas and I'm ready to see them.
If I don't pop in before then, I hope you all have a wonderful Easter!
Toodles!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Kate! You are so creative. You did a fantastic job! I love it. And Gary's comment that he's glad he doesn't have to go in there everyday means you did a great job. I've found that if my husband doesn't like something, that means it's fantastic cuz men have no taste! I have an arrangement on my living room wall that Dave practically begged me to get rid of. EVERY single person that has ever walked into my house has complemented it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - you know I love you...but I hate you for being so cool and creative. Your room is awesome. I now need to go deal with my sinful feelings of coveteousness. You have really made a fantastic business out of your tutoring. You are an inspiration. I could never do anything like this, even if I had rooom. I am the one with no taste - Big Al is the decorator. I have never picked up a paintbrush in my life.
    Not only that - I see you posted this at 6:10 this morning!!! What happened to the "night owl"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Especially the US Map.

    ReplyDelete