Wednesday, September 30, 2009

birthday goodies

Last Monday was my birthday. Since Monday I was busy with church work all day and then four hours of tutoring until 8 PM we celebrated on Sunday. After church, I chose to eat lunch at Okoboji Grill. We then headed to Best Buy where I picked out my very first laptop! I have been wanting one for awhile. Often times I use the computer with my tutoring students when I'm helping them research something. I have found several websites that would be good for practicing skills, but with my computer in the other room, it's not convenient. With four of us on one desktop, it was getting difficult to wait in line to get on it sometimes. With my church work now (and most of it being done from my own computer) I was needing access to it more often. I want to be able to take it when I sub, so if I have extra time (like I did on Monday!!) I can get church stuff done at the same time! Also, one of the students that I have worked with for 7 years now travels a lot and this way, I can connect with her. Anyway, before she left for her latest trip, her family surprised me with a $500 gift card to Best Buy to go towards a laptop! I was overwhelmed!!! I am thoroughly enjoying the laptop so far, but have lots to learn. Anyway, after I was done tutoring on Monday, the boys gave me their cards. Brennan's was very creative of course. He had gotten these big $100 bills from somewhere and my card came with $1000 to spend. I am planning to spend my 'money' eating lunch at school with him and perhaps some backrubs! But my favorite part of this card was the last line where I can spend "$1000 for dad to do all the work!" Of course, he hadn't informed dad that he would be part of the scenario! Depending on what "work" that entails, I may have to spend my money on that one!
This note was from Bradley. Bradley prefers to do his cards on the computer- he's put together neat text effects, power points, and incorporated pictures. He's usually a boy of few words so I was surprised at the depth of this note!! A couple of things made me giggle. First of all, his signed "Bradley Hydorn" as though I wouldn't know which Bradley it was from. This is totally like my brother Dan- he used to sign every card, even to our mom, from 'Dan Fox.' I also got a kick out of the fact that I "care so much about his sports even though I don't understand them half the time." Bradley, it only seems that way because we are presently in football season, the sport that I am definitely the most ignorant about. I ask many questions and have just as many that I choose not to ask as not to sound like a complete idiot. In my defense, he plays football, basketball, baseball, golf, and runs track, and only football and golf trip me up. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the others, so 3 out of 5 is better than half!






And this one if from my hubby. His nickname is Pudge- I began calling him that when we were dating (not exactly sure why) and he calls me Pookie. Anyway, he made up the poem himself. I was impressed! Since he knew I wanted to get some accessories to go with my laptop, he just gave me cash. Never a bad choice for this chick!
Gary made my birthday cake i.e- took us down to the local ice cream place for malts and cookies to round out the evening. I am thankful for my boys and so blessed for each year that I get to be a part of their lives!

1 comment:

  1. you dont know that much about basketball though

    ReplyDelete