Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I learned tonight...

from listening to this program on my way home from church that the average child smiles 400 times per day while the average adult smiles about 15 times per day. The realization of that is pretty sad and startling. Sometimes I think we get so busy with the routines of each day that we forget to appreciate the little, seemingly simple things of our every day. Today I smiled when...

1) Maizy was lying on the pillow so pristinely looking like a very plump princess.
2) Brennan headed off to school on his bike, like such a big boy.
3) my dear, sweet, wonderful father-in-law took a day off from work to come and help Gary put the siding on the garage.
4) I received 6 yummy cupcakes as an early birthday present.
5) I tasted my first bite of one of those lucious cupcakes!
6) sang "happy birthday" and gave a precious little 3 year old a Strawberry Shortcake doll and cake for her birthday.
7) read Cathy Z.'s blog. She is one of the funniest people in the world!
8) I watched Oreo follow Brennan down the street on his bike.
9) Bradley told me he aced his Spanish test
10) I saw the new scrapbooking paper at Michael's.
11) I finally found the perfect frame for a picture of Brennan in Florida this summer.
12) the sun was shining and it was 80 degrees- the perfect day!
13) I read the nice thank you note from Brennan's teacher.
14) I inserted my first link in this blog post!
15) I kissed my husband goodnight.


I know there were many more smiles, however this statement challenged me that I don't have enough of those carefree, special, happy moments with my children especially. I feel like a drill sergeant much of the time- nagging and barking orders so as to keep us on schedule. I want to leave with this song. It is one of my favorites right now, and rings so true for this very topic. Actually I think I was smiling while I was belting this out in the car on the way to the Dr. today (thankfully I was alone so no one else had to be subjected to my terrible singing voice!). Listen carefully to the words. Life is short. Don't waste a minute of it.

So, what made you smile today??

No comments:

Post a Comment