Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Koolaid playdough





This is my absolute favorite playdough recipe- in fact, it is now my only playdough recipe!


With my job at church as a children's ministry assistant, I had planned several games and activities for Easter Sunday. One of the those was a playdough table. I made lots of spring colors, bought a $1 package of Easter cookie cutters, and the kids loved it. It was a hit!

This recipe is easy and quick to make, inexpensive, and I love that the packages of Koolaid give it great colors and makes it smell yummy too! I used lime for the green, grape for the purple, berry blue tropical punch for the blue, black cherry for the red, and obviously orange for the orange. It keeps for a long time in Ziploc bags so you can get lots of use out of it.

Koolaid playdough

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 cup salt

2 packets of koolaid (choose to determine the color you want)

2 Tbsp oil

2 cups boiling water

Combine in a large bowl. Stir with a spoon, and then let cool for a few minutes. Place on countertop and knead with hands until clumps are gone and consistency is to your liking. Feel free to add more flour as you knead if it is too sticky. Have fun- dive in and make some creations with your kids!

6 comments:

  1. Wow - sooo cool. I think I have seen this recipie somewhere before, but I have never made it. I will have to give it a try. Brooke needs new playdough desperately and I almost BOUGHT some the ohter day. So glad I didn't. She would love helping me make this (even though she won't be able to see the color.)I am sure Grant would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely going to try this with my boys when they are just a little bigger! Quick question...it doesn't turn their fingers/clothes/etc colors, right? Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate! This will be great to make for Darci!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Kool-aid play dough but my recipe calls for cream of tartar. I'm totally switching to your recipe!!! :) By the way, doesn't it smell SO good! I'm constantly reminding my kids (and myself) that it really wouldn't taste as good as it smells!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke and I made this today and it was soooo easy, fun and smelled great! Brooke didn't like the smell of the hot flour mix and when I was kneading it she said "it looks like you are smashing a chicken." (There's your quote for the day!" Thanks Kate! She's playing with it right now. I'm sure the boys will enjoy it when they get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, I have the same question your friend Deborah asked. "Does it turn your fingers, clothes, etc. colors?" You know me and red dye #40! That stuff doesn't come out of anything! I haven't had kool-aid in my house for years because of the stain factor. So, I had to ask. What pretty play dough!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete