Monday, February 22, 2010

prayer


We pray with our kids before bed. But usually Dad or I am doing the praying. When I ask Brennan to pray, he will usually tell me, "I don't know what to pray for." Even though I tell him the same things each time, or I ask him what Daddy and I have been praying about, he still has difficulty.
I heard about the 5 finger method several years ago, but found it again today as I was prepping for Bible study tomorrow. I haven't used it yet with Bren but am excited to give it a try. Hopefully this will help him pray without promptings from me. Let me know if any of you give this a try at your house or already implement this method.
The THUMB is nearest you. So begin praying for those closest to you. They are the easiest to remember.
The next finger is you POINTING FINGER. Pray for those who teach, instruct, or heal. This could include your pastor, church leaders, teachers, and doctors. They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction.
The next finger is your TALLEST FINGER. It reminds us of our leaders. Pray for the president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators. These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. They need God's guidance.
The fourth finger is our RING FINGER. Surprisingly to many, it is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will testify. It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain. The need your prayers day and night. You cannot pray too much for them.
And lastly comes our LITTLE FINGER- the smallest finger of all which is where we should place ourselves in relation to God and others. Your pinkie should remind you to pray for yourself. By the time you have prayed for the other four groups, your own needs should be put into proper perspective and you will be able to pray for yourself more effectively.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much. I re-discovered this just a couple months ago and wrote it into a Primary lesson. Thanks for the reminder. I miss you, my friend. I miss you so very much.

    ReplyDelete