Saturday, November 7, 2009

Race for the Cure

She is the reason we got involved in Race for the Cure several years ago. She is a survivor- 10 years- and we are so thankful. Gary took this next picture as we began, and it always amazes me how many people turn out for this walk each year, and the numbers continue to go up. I am so encouraged as I walk just seeing the support of teams walking for certain individuals, fighters who are sometimes wheeled through the course, obviously in the middle of their own personal battle, reading the tags of the numerous loved ones who have lost their fight to this horrid disease, while at the same time seeing those in pink shirts (the survivors) who walk in victory. No matter how cold it might be or how cruddy of a week I may have had, this couple of hours uniting with thousands of others with the same goal is so rewarding. It makes my own troubles seem minimal.
Our family began walking about 5 years ago, I think??? (I have a horrible memory)


Gary's parents now join us each year


It's something we look forward to each year. And as I look through these pictures, I am reminded of yet another person I love. My sister, Lori, just got results back from a lump that was found in her breast. There was a minimal area that was cancerous, and now they are checking lymph nodes. The Dr. is encouraged because the margins were clear, and they got it all out when they took the lump. She will probably have to have radiation, but thankfully not chemotherapy or a mastectomy. We are definitely thankful for the encouraging prognosis! I am always amazed at the advancement of technology and know that the money we give to be a part of this race is going in the right direction- hopefully a cure is around the corner.
Love you Carolyn!
Love you Lori!



No comments:

Post a Comment