Saturday, January 9, 2010

Scripture challenge #1

HOPE

Here is my first scripture challenge. The word given was "Hope." I used my new New Living Translation Bible I recently got and just searched the Word for all of the verses containing "Hope." I had several favorites, but this one was the one I chose to do my page on. I loved how it reminds me that God will always keep His promises. After doing my Scripture search, I discovered that the Bible basically tells us to have HOPE in our Saviour and HOPE in God's Word- that was reiterated over and over in several verses I read.

I am putting all of my Scripture challenges in an 8x8 KI album I've had for awhile. I bought this little scalloped clipboard on clearance and I will display each one in my scrapping area on this clipboard until I complete the next one. Since the new word comes out every other week instead of every week I am really hoping to keep up. It doesn't take long to put together an 8x8 page, and one of my goals this year is to try to scrap some every weekend. During the weeks it's very difficult to get anything done with all of my other responsibilities.

I'm very tired tonight. I think I might even be in bed before 10 tonight! That hasn't happened for a LONG time! After only being back in school for 3 days after a 2 week break for Christmas, the boys had Thursday and Friday off for snow, blowing, and cold temperatures. So it'll be a 4 day weekend for them. Ugh! Too much TV, laying around, and X Box!

Gary and I have been doing a lot of researching and investigating about houses. We are leaning towards building right now, so we're asking questions, looking at model homes, asking about upgrades, looking at floorplans, and PRAYING for wisdom to do the right thing!

And on a happy note, I have been very faithful in working out these past couple of weeks. I finally bit the bullet and joined Snap Fitness here in town and I LOVE IT! I love the convenience of the 24 hour availability, the fact that it's right here in town, the 4 large TV's right above the treadmills to make my time on there go faster, and the weight machines for strength training. I got a joint membership for Bradley and I. He is wanting to lift more and get ready for track, so he is helping me. I enjoy us being able to go together. I have been increasing my time, elevation, and calorie burn on the treadmill each time. I have really reached a point with my weight that is at complete unhappiness. I have tried to work out at home, and the reality for me is that it just doesn't happen. Knowing I have PAID MONEY for the next 4 months helps with the accountability. I had been doing pretty well with my eating this week until I made a hot fudge chocolate cake for Bradley's birthday and discovered it has 440 calories per piece!!!!!! But... on the positive side of that, working out on good treadmills where you program in your weight, etc. has truly opened my eyes to see how long it takes to burn that 440 calories!! I think that has been the biggest revelation for me. I have no intention of cutting out sweets. That is simply not realistic. But I do think it has helped me rethink whether my 60 calorie chocolate pudding cup (or even 2!) or that birthday cake is the best choice for me!

And Gary officially started his CPA review class today so for the next 5 months every Saturday from 8-5 he will be in class, and every evening after work he will be studying for his tests. I know this will be a good thing in the long run, but dreading it now. When he can't go to the library, he will hole up in my scrap area with headphones on to block out all of our ruckus. Tonight at 5:30 he headed down to start working, I served him his supper down there, he came up for about a 10 minute break a bit ago to help me with something, and is still down there now- 3 hours later. If you are a friend or family member reading this, please pray for him- for strength, physical and mental stamina, and the ability to remember all he studies so he can pass his tests! Thanks!!!



4 comments:

  1. Of course you have to do what you feel led to do, but I can't not say that I strongly advise AGAINST building a new house. I wish I knew 4 years ago what I know now because I would not do this over again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We built twice, as you know. Both times we said we wouldn't do it again! But, we LOVED both of our homes & wouldn't have been happy any other way. I think building is for people who absolutely cannot find what they want in a pre-owned home & have exhausted every avenue. We aren't "fixer-upper" people either so an older home would have stayed that way unless we paid someone else change it.

    You almost always get more square-footage for your $$$ buying a pre-owned home & the landscaping is already done. No matter what the builder tells you - you will go over in the lighting allowance, the landscaping allowance if you get a landscaping allowance, the flooring allowance, etc., etc., etc.). However, if you plan on doing that ahead of time, you'll be just fine.

    Just my 2cents.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    You are exactly right. That is where we are as far as nothing available in Carlisle that is within our price range with the specs we are looking for. We are also praying for God's wisdom in what He wants us to do, so if a different house comes up for sale, we would definitely give it a look. But, we have to keep all of our options out there, and building is one of them.

    Gary Hydorn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping God in your decision is so wise. You'll be exactly where He wants you to be -- new build or existing home. His plan is always best when you seek Him first. AND, He may also honor either choice as long as you honor Him with it. Sometimes there's just not a clear answer and God's works through the decision you make.

    I'll be praying that you have a peace about your decision. What an exciting time it can be! I choose the glass half full philosophy -- what a blessing to have the opportunity to upgrade to a bigger home.

    ReplyDelete