Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day


to my dad! I love this picture of us. It was just taken early last week when he and Dorothy came for a few days. We were at a ballgame of course.
Unfortunately I live a couple of hours away from him so I don't get to see him all that often. With our busy schedules we don't get over as much as I'd like to. I did call him and get to talk to him this evening, and I'm so thankful for that.
I think I'll just jot down some random things about my dad in honor of him this evening...
*My dad is very handy. He's always been able to fix things and I have many memories of him tinkering in the garage in his workshop area. They say you often marry a man like your own father, and in many ways, I did. My husband is also very handy.
*Dad loves to be outdoors. We had a cabin along the Cedar River growing up, and most of my childhood we owned a fishing boat and a Bayliner. We would often go out boating and fishing. I learned to love to fish from our many fishing vacations to Wisconsin and other places. Dad always takes a yearly snowmobile trip every winter and also likes to hunt. Just several other ways that my husband is like my father.
*My dad worked at the same job his entire grown-up life until he retired- Liberty Trust and Savings Bank. He would often walk to work when it was nice, and he'd come home at 11:30 for lunch. Mom would have his sandwich fixed and sit down at the dining room table with him for the next 45 minutes. He always sat in the same place at that dining room table for meals for all of the years I was growing up too!
*My dad loves a good joke. He doesn't just laugh, he cackles! His laugh makes me laugh! Funniest Home videos, Wipeout, and Home Alone can get him going!
*He always liked the windows clean. He loved to Windex them (our windows at home were spotless!) and he absolutely hated it when we would draw in the dew on the car windows and streak them all up! Of course, I'd do it anyway.
*When I'd go to kiss him when I was little, he always puffed out his cheek for his kiss.
*I got him the Gun Digest magazine every year for Christmas and no matter how cleverly I disguised the package, he could always figure out which gift it was! Made me so mad!
*He's not a big talker. If he talks on the phone too long, his "ears hurt." : ) He's a man of few words and always has been.
*He would take the whole family on great vacations every summer. We would often go for two weeks at a time. We drove of course, and part of the fun was getting up at 4 AM to hit the road early. We went all over the US on those trips and made awesome memories. Hauling 5, 4, or 3 kids (depending on who was still living at home) on a road trip for that length of time must have been physically and mentally draining (now that I'm a parent, I can see that!). Our vacations were never lay-on-the-beach-and-do-nothing sort of trips. No, we had an agenda for each day, and we packed in as much fun and activity as humanly possible during our time! Over the course of my growing up years, I saw numerous president homes, national landmarks, national parks, rode many a roller coaster, went to countless museums, watched dozens of Major League ballgames, and visited close to 40 states. Wow! I have realized in my adult life how very lucky I am!
I could go on and on with lots of memories, but I'll sum it up by saying he gave me a great childhood. He and my mom provided a safe, loving, fun home to grow up in. I am thankful for how hard he worked to provide for our family.
Dad I don't think you read my blog, but I love you! Happy Father's Day!!

2 comments:

  1. You should copy this and mail it to him. Very wonderful things to be remembered for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your FAVORITE Father-in-lawJune 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM

    I thought it was very nice of what you said about your dad. I know it meant alot to him becuase I know it means alot to me when my kids say something like that about me.

    ReplyDelete