Tuesday, October 21, 2008

birthday gift


A couple of months ago I was shopping in Family Bookstore. I saw this print on the wall and instantly knew I wanted it in my living room. We used to have a clock here, but after it konked out, we never had replaced it. Since we have a big clock in the dining room, we really don't need another one so close. So the wall was empty for a good year or so. I knew I wanted something there, but didn't know what. I wish I could say I have a knack for decorating, but that would be lying. I usually have to see it done somewhere else or find an idea in a magazine. I am a terrible decision maker when it comes to decorative stuff as well. I am not a visionary, I guess. Anyway, this one struck me. So I decided I would use my birthday money to get it. It was normally $150, but with a 33% of coupon that came in a flyer, I got it for $100! I was so excited! After I (my husband) hung the print, it looked really bare by itself. So I was off to find some sconces. I found these two at my favorite store, Gordmans, and once again, I scored them both for $11 after a 20% off coupon I had. The little candles are actually battery operated ones. This whole wall makes me so happy every time I look at it. It makes me feel peaceful, even when the boys are having a WWE wrestling session just inches away.



This is about as close up as I could get with my lens. And the color isn't very good either. I just love the serenity of it. I can picture myself sitting out on this porch after dinner, when I'm old and retired, enjoying a summer evening.
And best of all, one of my very favorite Bible verses is printed on the bottom of it. I was reminded of this verse at my ladies' Bible study today as we talked about priorities and how often things seem so messed up because our priorities are not in line with what they should be. Our pastor's wife, Bonnie, is such a blessing. After we study at our groups, she gets up and speaks for 20 minutes or so. When I come away from listening to her, it's all back into perspective for me. It's very simple and although her message is delivered in many forms, the heart of it is always the same. God, husband, children, and circle of influence. Those are my priorities. That is what is important. Those are my primary areas of ministry. Many times, I get way too wrapped up in all the extra garbage of the day that ultimately doesn't really matter.

Well, I need to head to bed. I stayed up way too late last night too. But the quiet hours of the night to me are what many early risers feel the quiet hours of the morning are to them-my time of peace. And there are nights I'm not ready to let go of it...even for my (new) very comfy pillow.


No comments:

Post a Comment